Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Friends of George Wagstaff


My friend and brother in Christ who I have spoken about before blogged the following:

obituaries. Perhaps a morbid topic to discuss but I have had a few ponderings. I subscribe to the Indianapolis Star. In the Metro+State section, on a daily basis, there are ~50, count 'em FIFTY obituaries to read. All are written similarly Born on date, date they expired, Civic organizations, etc etc etc. Many have a Church they were a member of, never mind the fact that they hadn't attended since D-Day, or their tithing over the course of the last Quarter Century wouldn't purchase a Happy Meal. Nothing negative is EVER written. It's as if we bury nominees for Sainthood on a daily basis. I've come to the conclusion that one's obituary is written by the living for the living; one last chance to say good-bye. I mean the deceased don't care what is written. It's as if the living write it to give their loved one a boost through Heaven's door. Never mind the fact that the deceased, when living, didn't accept what one is deemed we accept for entrance into the Kingdom of flowing milk and honey. No, we'd never read about that.
You can follow his blog at The Sunday News at http://sundaynews2.blogspot.com/ check out his ponderings every Sunday.
BUT LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT SOME PEOPLE WHO NOT ONLY WROTE A GREAT OBITUARY BUT WHO ALSO STOOD BEHIND WHAT THEY WROTE.
I officiated a graveside service last week for an 88 year old man who had served in the United States Marine Corp from 1942-1946 and was a member of the "China Marines" ( if you don't recognize that term google it be amazed). Anyway the man raised Angus cattle, had been married for 62 years, worked a huge garden and was loved by a lot of people. I know he was loved because the graveside service was held in the pouring down rain, one of the worst rains I have ever been in. There were about 15 Marines present and another thirty friends and family all stood in the down pour as we had this "short" service.
All those present were thinking about this man's "Dash" or his life between the time he was born and the day he died.
I look around me through the rain, oh and it also hailed on us during our time there, and I noticed no one acted as though they wanted to leave, they were just proud to stand with others and honor their friends. I was honored to be a part of it.
To the friends and family of George Wagstaff I can only say "Semper Fi"

No comments: